Giraffe

Thursday, May 24, 2012

We are going back to bring our girl home!!

     When I got on here to post and realized that my last post was on April 21st I was so sad!  So much has happened since then but I haven't had anytime to write about it with all of the craziness of life.  When we got back home from our first trip we immediately jumped back into our normal routines.  Matt and I went to work the next day, my parents left, kids activities continued.  Other than being a little tired I really didn't experience any jet lag after the trip.  I did, however, get sick. UGH! I came down with a terrible sinus mess that left me without a voice for days.  I forgot how hard it is to teach when you don't have a voice.  I couldn't wait for Friday to come when we could all crash.  I don't think I had ever been so happy for a Friday before in my life.  Then, on Saturday Matt and I had a date night scheduled to celebrate my 40th birthday.  I suggested we cancel the date because I had no voice.  But he said that wasn't an option.  When we got to our restaurant that night there were 6 of our close friends from Copley sitting around the table!  SURPRISE!  I was so excited to see and be with all of them, except laryngitis makes it hard to catch up and share life.  They all came back over to our house afterwards where all of our kids (all nine of them) were waiting with more surprises. They showered me with fun birthday gifts, mostly all things Ethiopia, and we were able to show them all of our pictures from our trip.  It was so meaningful to have them there to share in our joy since we were with them in Copley when we began this whole process 2 1/2 years ago. 

After the big birthday weekend Matt left for Switzerland and I muddled through the week still sick, exhausted, missing our girl and feeling weepy, and trying to process everything we had just experienced.  I woke up on Monday, May 7th feeling overly anxious and stressed out due to certain circumstances.  I really thought I might crack. When I opened up my devotion this is what I read.

 "Let me help you through this day. The challenges you face are far too great for you to handle alone.  You are keenly aware of your helplessness in the scheme of events you face.  This awareness opens up a choice: to doggedly go it alone or to walk with Me in humble steps of dependence."
Then one of my favorite verses was highlighted.  James 1:2-3 Consider it pure joy whenever you are enveloped in various trials...    I love when God speaks to me in such personal ways.  It was just what I needed to get me through the day. 
     On May 8th we awoke to find out that our file had been submitted to the US Embassy!  This was big news because we didn't think it would happen this fast.  I started to have an idea it might since things were moving quickly for the other families who were there right before us.  I was excited but was nervous because my last day of teaching was supposed to be May 24th and I knew there was a possibility things could move so fast that we would leave before I finished.  Then May 10th we got the email that said our screening of our I-600 form was complete.  OK we are moving along quickly - happy but can't believe it! I knew at this point I would have to stop teaching a week early in order to be ready to go if things kept moving so quickly.  My friend was able to sub for me again so that work out perfect.  I was so sad to finish up with the students but knew that I had to make May 18th my last teaching day.  Then, on May 16th we got the notice that they were moving on to the I-604 status.  Never in a million years thought things would move so quickly at this stage of the process. The  I-604 process scheduled for May 23rd!  I went into work on Monday, May 21st to wrap up some things and then had Tuesday to plow through my loooong list of things to be done just in case we found out we leave next week.  Tuesday night we went to bed knowing that we would hear something in the morning.  Since Ethiopia is 8 hours ahead I knew that we would possibly get our confirmation email in the middle of the night.  I thought that there was no way I would sleep through the night, but I did, and I never moved until 5:30 when we both popped up and grabbed Matt's phone to check for the email.  Nothing!!  We were so bummed.  I lay in bed disappointed while Matt went to the gym.  Then about an hour later he called me yelling, "We got it! We are cleared!"  I started jumping up and down!  When I went to wake Andrew up right after that his sweet eyes were barely open and he asked, "Did we get the email?"  "Yes!" I said.  He popped right out of bed and was just as happy as I was!  This continued with Luke and Brooke.  The last thing left to know was when our actual US Embassy date would take place.  This is where they issue her a Visa.  For many logistical reasons we were praying it would be on Thursday, May 31st.  We were told that we might not know until Thursday.  This part was KILLING me!  So much depended on this date.  I didn't think I could go one more day without knowing. When we sat down to do our morning devotion this is what we read,
 "Approach each new day with a desire to find Me. Before you get out of bed, I have already been working to prepare the path that will get you through this day. There are hidden treasures strategically placed along the way. Some of the treasures are trials, deisgned to shake you from earth-hackles. Others are blessings that reveal My presence: sunshine, flowers, birds, friendships, answered prayer.  I have not abadoned this sin-wracked world; I am still richly present in it. Search for deep treasure as you go thhrough the day.  You will find me along the way."

Well, a half an hour later we got confirmation that our Embassy date is indeed on May 31st!! Prayer answered and hidden treasure strategically placed!! I danced around the house all morning!!!  Matt and I got to work on the phones with travel agents, my parents, and our case worker trying to coordinate travel times and plans.   We leave on Monday, May 28th and will immediately go get our precious daughter!!!! We are thrilled beyond measure and haven't stopped praising God for this gift to our family.

And I would like to add that today is special K's birthday!! 5 years old- today May 24th!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment