Giraffe

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Ethiopian Air - Flight 501

Monday, May 28th
                                      We were so happy to see this screen when we got to DC.
                                    Our new friends from Columbus we happen to be traveling with.
                           We just met them a couple of weeks ago.  It sure is fun to have travel buddies.

                              The sky show tracking our flight. I loved knowing exactly where we were at all times.

We boarded our flight to Addis Ababa with no problems at all. It was on time and the crowd was MUCH different than last time. On our first trip the flight was so loud and it seemed like one big family reunion with everyone up and walking around and visiting. This flight crowd is much more subdued. It is nice to have it quieter on such a long flight. Matt is pressuring me to try to sleep but I just can’t. I really wish I could. We are sitting next to, and in front of, a family who is from Ethiopia and now lives in Las Vegas. The husband is going over for 2 weeks and his wife and sons, 3 and 6, are going for two months. His boys have never been there and they are so excited to be bringing them to ET for the first time. I would be too. The parents have lived here for 17 years and Matt and I have had the best time talking to them and hearing about them growing up in Addis Ababa and what is was like. They think it is wonderful that we are adopting and they have actually considered it as well. The man said that they would adopt from Ethiopia if they choose to adopt someday. The best thing is that he knew a lot about the region where our daughter is from (Gambella) and was able to give us a lot of information about the culture and the people. He said that Gambella people are usually tall and that perhaps our daughter will be a volleyball player. Time will tell! As much as I have enjoyed visiting with him the 3 year old constantly kicking my seat is about to make me insane!! That could be contributing to my lack of sleep in a big way. However, having been in that position before allows me to be forgiving.

So I finally had the release of emotion that I have been storing up since our referral day back on February 23rd. Ever since that day I have hardly cried at all, which might not be odd for some people, but with the roller coaster of emotions we have experienced over the last three months I knew that it needed to come out at some point. I am one who bottles things up and keeps going until an unfortunate flood occurs, usually at an awkward time. Sure I have shed an occasional small tear, but it has only lasted a matter of seconds as I haven’t had the time to process my emotions and have a good cry because I have always had to move on to the next the next thing that had to be done. This actually works out well for me but I needed the flood to release everything I’ve had stored inside. Well, Matt helped me with that when he suggested that I watch the movie, “We Bought a Zoo.” He had just finished it and said he recommended it while adding that it was indeed sad. I decided to watch it and ended up crying through the whole thing! It was very sweet and sad and full of hope. I also recommend it, but have your tissues ready! The flood continued well after it was over and Matt did what he always does best when this happens to me, which really isn’t often, maybe only once every four or five years. He offered me food! And then he makes me laugh. Then, he talks to me. I couldn’t imagine any better husband for putting up through such a soggy mess of tears. I am just so grateful that it happened now and not in front of K so that she doesn’t think her mother is an unstable nutcase!

Since I am still not sleeping after my cry fest my thoughts and prayers turn to K and thinking about what she will be experiencing in a few hours. She has been told we are coming for her. Is she excited? Nervous? Scared? Will she be sad to leave Hannah’s Hope and the life she has known the past few months behind? Will she mourn the loss of what is familiar to her? Will she be eager to be with us and feel secure in our love and affection towards her? Many more questions race through my brain and one verse keeps coming back to me over and over again. It is James 1:17-18 “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth that we might be a kind of firstfruits for all he created.

I hope that she sees us as a gift to her, as we receive the gift of her that God promised to us. I cannot wait to put our arms around her! This time is will be wonderful knowing that we won’t ever have to let go.

We currently have only 3 hours and 11 minutes left until we get to Addis! 1761 miles left to go! I can’t believe it!! That will give me just enough time to watch “The Sound of Music” for the 89th time.

No comments:

Post a Comment